Teacher - Guitar
Experience: Peter has worked as a live musician, studio session guitarist and a musical arranger/director since the 1960’s, highlights are below.
" I really enjoy encouraging people to pursue music, whether for the self discipline and personal growth that commitment to it brings, or for the sheer fun, joy and solace it can bring! "
Peter is a father and husband and enjoys his commitment to family life.
If you are considering taking up guitar, at whatever level, or would like to learn about music theory, Peter can help!
Highlights of Peters experience include:
- 1964-1966 Played in a R&B group in London, England (‘Jokers Wild’).
- 1966-1970 Various local Auckland bands (mainly R&B- ‘Steam Packet’, ‘Le Frame’, The Dave Shepherd Group’, playing clubs and doing T.V. gigs ‘(C’mon’, ‘Happen Inn’).
- 1971 First full time gig! (6 nights/ week at the Mon Desir Hotel, Takapuna).
- 1972-1976 ‘Crossroads’, an Auckland band playing Pubs, Clubs, Receptions.
- 1976-1978 Resident Band leader/Musical Director at ‘The Lodge’reception lounge, Herne Bay (we were backing Cabaret Artists as well as being the mainstay of their entertainment).
- 1978-1982 Session Guitarist/ Contract Music Arranger for T.V.N.Z.; all kinds of music from the pop hits of the day (‘Twelve Bar Rhythm and Shoes’, ‘The Company’, ‘The Ray Woolfe Show’,etc), to ‘Stars On Sunday’.
- 1978-1985 Band leader/ M.D. for many of Auckland’s night club/ Cabarets of the day-‘ Olivers’, ‘The Foundry’, ‘The Crypt’, ‘General Jacksons’, ‘The Forge’ (and some others).
- 1985- 1992 Musical Director and Guitarist for Brendan Dugan, a New Zealand country singer, and at the time, N.Z. Entertainer of the Year.
Apart from recording three albums with Brendan during this time, the relationshiptook us to the U.S. (twice), Canada, Singapore (twice). It also led, by association, to my playing on albums by many other people including Jodi Vaughn, Gray Bartlett, Suzanne Prentice, the late Sir Howard Morrison, and several others.
- 1992-2010 Various Bands, Theatre tours, T.V. and recording gigs, including being the N.Z. guitarist for John Rowles, playing in regular groups (Al Hunter, from 1994-1998,including support for The Amazing Rhythm Aces at the Powerstation), and since 2000 Peter has been and still is the electric guitar player in both ‘The Brendon Ham Band’ (new ‘Live Demos’ album just released) and ‘Southern Cross Band’ ( featuring Marion Burns- a renowned ‘fiddler’.
-2008-2010 Since then, apart from the live work, Peter has focussed more on teaching, for both students who are new to guitar, or more advanced students seeking further refinement.
-1993-2010 Song writing and recording, mainly but not solely in joint ventures with lyricists, and having musical input to the lyrics of others. (Various musics from Rock to Jazz via Country, Blues, and R&B).
As the Music Education Centre has different teachers over a range of locations, please contact our office on 0800 89 39 39 to find out where Peter is currently teaching, or which of our other great teachers may be available at your preferred location.